Monday, August 25, 2008

Wake

I accidentally bought a teen fiction book called Wake by Lisa McMann. I was at work and I got an email with a one day only 30% discount from Barnes & Noble on line. So I quickly skimmed through the sci-fi list and ordered a couple books. I was bummed when I realized they were both written for teens, but now I think that teen lit is where the best sci-fi books are coming from (Harry Potter, Twilight, Artemis Fowl, Eragon, etc.). I certainly haven't been blown over by many (if any) recent adult sci-fi novels.

Wake is about a teenager who gets sucked into everyone else's dreams and can't stop it from happening. Other kids tease her not only for this, but also because her mom is an alcoholic and they're living on welfare. One day she gets sucked into a nightmare featuring a hideous and murderous monster and is forced to figure out how to control this "gift" and whether or not the boy who's trying to help her is trustworthy. I liked the creative idea of exploring what someone's life would be like if they couldn't help but experience everyone else's dreams. It's more of a novella and won't take you long to read. If you're interested check it out.

No comments: