Friday, August 29, 2008

Playing for Pizza

There's a lot of football in Playing for Pizza by John Grisham. Lots of Italian culture and food, too, but mostly football. I think it would help the general enjoyment of the book if you gave a fat rat's patootie about football, unlike me. It's not poorly written by any means. It's just that there are numerous detailed descriptions about Italian food, sites, and culture. Which leads me to believe that Grisham spent some length of time in Italy and is a football fan. (Pretty smart how I figured that out, huh?) Rick Dockery, the worst quarterback in the NFL, can't get picked up by any team except the Panthers - the Parma Panthers in Italy, that is. He initially goes because he has to, and ends up staying because he wants to. You might want to pick this one up if you're a football fan, but otherwise I'd try some other John Grisham book.

No comments: