Friday, August 22, 2008

The Amber Spyglass

I finally finished reading The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. I started reading it ten or eleven books ago and couldn't bring myself to continue reading it. I made quite an effort to finish this before the weekend just I wouldn't have it sitting on my nightstand anymore. I'm sick of looking at this book. Needless to say, I didn't like it or the His Dark Materials series as a whole. Everything that happened seemed to be a random series of events that, in and of themselves, on some level may be exciting happenings but they're just thrown together in a big, messy jumble which makes for obnoxious reading. Lyra saved all of existence and I didn't even care. I was just relieved that it was over. I never saw the movie they made for The Golden Compass; I can't imagine them making the other two movies of this series. They'll probably bomb just because the source material is so bad. I don't know why these books are so popular. Don't buy these books. You'll waste hours of your life that you'll never get back.

No comments: