Monday, July 26, 2010

Sourcerer's Apprentice, Linger, and other Reviews

The Sourcerer's Apprentice, starring Nicholas Cage, was about what I expected it to be. As a Disney movie I expected it to be good, clean fun and it was. The script was good, the acting was good, and the effects were cool and not over-used (like Last Airbender). Not a must-see at the theater, but you'll probably want to catch it on cable or DVD.

I loved Linger, Maggie Stiefvater's sequel to Shiver. She's a wonderful writer - proof that young adult novels don't have to be dumbed down, which is a pet peeve of mine. She introduces a few more characters to the story of Nora and Sam, a werewolf bite survivor and a former werewolf, respectively. Stiefvater takes the story in an almost heartbreaking direction, but left me wanting more. I can't wait to read more in this series.

I re-read one of my favorite books for a book club: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. I think I loved it more this second time around because I was able to take in more detail. Such a clever and funny book. This is definitely a must-read, as is the rest of the series.

I also read A Questionable Client by Ilonoa Andrews in the Dark and Stormy Knights anthology. This is a Kate Daniels story that takes place before the book series. It's the story of how she met Saiman. Very good story - a must read for Kate Daniels fans.

Icy Heat wasn't as bad as I thought it would be for a free Kindle download. Not really a glowing recommendation, huh? Well, I don't have a glowing recommendation for The Passage by Justin Cronin either. I gave up after 322 pages.

No comments: