Sunday, May 31, 2009

Movie Reviews

Up was a fabulous movie! I love that animated movies are more geared to an adult audience these days. It's about old man who lifts his house up with helium balloons to fulfill his life-long dream of exploring South America. Soon after lift off he realized that he's not alone. An eight year old Wilderness Explorer was on his porch when the house lifted off. I loved this kid - he had the funniest lines!

The most beautiful part of the movie is the beginning, which tells the life story of the old man exclusively visually (no dialogue whatsoever). We learned so much about our main character in only a few minutes of animation. Very impressive. Definitely go see this one.

One you should definitely skip is Drag Me To Hell. Indeed. I felt like I was actually in hell while sitting through this piece of crap. At the half hour point I was bored stiff. I wasn't scared at all and it was completely predictable. At several points I laughing because it was so lame - like the angry talking goat, for example. I'm amazed that someone thought this was a good enough script to give Sam Raimi millions of dollars to make this. Do you really want to be the guy who made the worst movie in the past decade?!

I've rented several movies as well. Ones you should catch are Kill Shot based on an Elmore Leonard book starring Mickey Rourke and Diane Lane (filmed in Michigan, btw); December Boys, a British coming of age movie about a group of orphans in Australia starring Dan Radcliff; and Swing Vote, a very over-the-top political comedy starring Kevin Costner, Dennis Hopper and Kelsey Grammer.

Ones to remove from your movie queue Paul Blart: Mall Cop, which was really stupid and not funny at all (I think Adam Sandler had his hand in this somehow which explains why it sucked so hard); and American Yakuza from 1993 which wasn't horrible, but doesn't stand up to today's movie standards.

No comments: