Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

Zombies?! Yes, you read that right. Some genius named Seth Grahame-Smith took Jane Austen's torturously boring novel and wrote in a bunch of zombies to spice it up. The Bennet girls are all ninja warriors pledged to kill Satan's minions, but the main story is still Austen's original drivel. This book is much more clever and entertaining than it sounds like it would be.

It took me a long time to read this; probably about a month when my usual pace for a book is a few days to a week. It if weren't for Grahame-Smith's upgrades I would have stabbed my eyes out with a fork and tossed the book into the garbage (well, not really because I have it on my Kindle, but you get the point). I don't know how Austen got herself published and why her books are considered classics. Thank God Grahame-Smith had the inclination and the time to revamp it so than now I may say that this new version is definitely a classic.

My initial thought was that he should upgrade all of Austen's books, but his next project is going to be Abe Lincoln: Vampire Slayer. I'm glad he's spreading the love around. I'm looking forward to his future works.

No comments: