Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Assassin's Quest

Wowee wowee wow. I just finished Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb, the last book in the Farseer trilogy. I totally loved this series and adamantly recommend it to everyone. I had no idea that any current author was writing fabulous science fiction tales. Why hasn't this gained the same popularity as the works of Tolkein and Rowling? Am baffled at this because Hobb truly belongs in the upper most echelon with them.

I have read several reader reviews that complain of the story, and especially this last book. I think their primary complaint stems from this story not taking the obvious route to the expected closure of a typical science fiction novel. However, this is what I enjoyed most about this series. The world and the characters Hobb created had me mesmerized from start to finish. The end of this book had me speed-reading as fast as I possibly could because I absolutely had to see how the final events were going to unfold as quickly as possible. I was not disappointed.

I the other complaint I've read from readers is of our hero, Fitz. I think Fitz is the best protagonist I've ever read in science fiction. I find it extremely boring to read about perfect people who always make the best choices; what's interesting reading about somebody doing something that's easy for them? In this story, Fitz tries throughout his life to do the right thing, to be a "king's man." But his mistakes, misjudgments and wrong assumptions combined with his constant struggle to do what he wants versus what he should, shape him into such a robust character that, by the end of the series, I was breathing each breath with him and hoping his same hopes and fearing his same fears.

This was an incredible series. I can't wait to read other books of Hobb's. She has written two more trilogies in this same world she created in the Realm of the Elderlings, as well as other books outside of this universe. Check back to my blog in the future for postings on all of these books, which I will surely read.

No comments: