Sunday, July 27, 2008

I Want To Believe

The X Files: I Want To Believe was a better movie than I expected. I didn't follow the TV show through the end of its run so I worried that I wouldn't be able to follow all the inside sub-plots. But there is no need to be an X Phile to follow this movie. This could have been any FBI movie, but it was more fun to watch Mulder and Scully trying to solve the case. The movie opens in modern day after Mulder and Scully have both been retired from the FBI for some time. Mulder is called in to assist with a case in which they are using a psychic to assist them (the "X" part of the movie), and Mulder, in turn, needs Scully's assistance.

Initially, I thought "I Want To Believe" was a cheesy attention getting ploy for the title. But as the movie wore on it became apparent that this was the main theme of the movie for all of the main characters. While not applicable to the specific case they were trying to solve, the psychic needed to believe that his sins (which we learn to be heinous) are forgiven, Mulder needs to believe in his old X Files intuition, and Scully, the person in the most intense personal crises, needs to believe in God.


It's not a movie you have to run right out and see this instant, but you should at least put it on your rental list. The truth is out there.

No comments: