Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Movie Reviews

I rented some movies last weekend, and boy, were some of them bad! I know it will come as no shock to you that Beowulf & Grendle was terrible. I thought seeing a movie adaptation would change my mind about how boring Beowulf was to read. I thought wrong. This was really boring, just like the book.

The Fountain was also pretty bad. It was a bizarre sci-fi thing (usually right up my alley) but it was really boring because there was hardly a plot. Don't be fooled by Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weiss. While they are good actors, they can't help a weird movie with no plot.

The other stinker was The Contract. I was lured in by Morgan Freeman and John Cusack, both fabulous actors. However, the movie had a really bad 80s plot to it. At one point one of the bad guys shot at John Cusack with a machine gun from about 10 feet away and missed him. I think he should have taken some lessons from Dick Cheney.

But two of the movies I rented were really good. Fracture with Anthony Hopkins was really good. He shoots his wife (we see him do this at the beginning of the movie) for cheating on him. The movie is both a legal thriller and a mystery as we try to figure out how he hid all the evidence. Very good, but don't waste your time watching the two alternate endings on the DVD.

The other good one was Apocalypto. It took me a long time to watch this because, at the time, I was really sick of hearing about what a kook Mel Gibson was, the not-typical subject matter of the movie made me leery, and the subtitles turned me off. However, it was a really, really good movie that shows you many different aspects to the ancient Mayan culture. And don't worry, there's lots of plot so it doesn't get boring at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Belles: Which all goes to show you: Don't believe all the negative hype. Whatever Mel Gibson believes is his own business, and I suspect he has valid reasons for it. His personal beliefs do not detract from his obvious talent as an actor and director.

Belles said...

I disagree, Anonymous. His crazy personal life does deter me away from his work. So do the antics of Tom Cruise and Lindsey Lohan. I am swayed away from wanting to see their movies, even though they are both good actors as well. I don't deny their talent at all.

I am curious, though, what you think his valid reason is for slandering Jews when he was caught drunk driving. I'm not trying to antagonize you, I honestly want to understand what you think was going through his mind when the police officer was questioning his sobriety. I am at a loss as to why that even came up at that time.