Monday, February 8, 2010

Reviews for Legion, Temple Grandin, and How to Wash a Cat


I was so disappointed in Legion. I love action/sci-fi movies so I was kind of excited to see this one. I know the reviews weren't good, but I don't listen to movie critics because they don't tend to appreciate the action/sci-fi genre like I do. First the good points: Paul Bettany is nice to look at; and the best scene in the whole movie was when the fry cook ninja chucked a cast iron frying pan at the head of a freaky old lady. Bad points: a whole lotta nothing happened; it was never really explained why this baby of all the babies waiting to be born was the one that could save the world; Dennis Quaid (whose acting gets worse as he ages); and the thing I hated the most was the stupid, moron guy who was supposed to be the protector of the girl and her baby. He was borderline mentally handicapped. Very irritating. I'm sorry to say that I don't recommend this movie at all.

HBO's Temple Grandin biopic was fabulous. I read one of her books on animal behavior several years ago so I was very interested in watching this movie of the story of her life. She was born with Autism, but because of the way her brain processed information she was able to excel at the science animal behavior for which she has a PhD. She single handedly revolutionized the cattle industry. By noticing behavior in cattle that no one else was able to, she redesigned the way in which cattle are treated at ranches and at processing plants. Her design plans are currently used in over half the facilities in the US and she is considered the foremost expert in her field. This is an incredible movie. You should really try to catch it on HBO this month.

My dad picked up a mystery book for me called How to Wash a Cat by Rebecca M. Hale. It's a "cozy" mystery (as opposed to a forensic analysis) about a woman with two cats in San Francisco whose uncle dies. While investigating some mysterious clues her uncle leaves behind, we get involved in the history of San Francisco during the days of the gold rush. It's a fun story that's a little too slow in the middle, but picks up at the end. If you're owned by a cat and you're looking for a fun little read pick this one up.

No comments: