Friday, February 26, 2010

Black Magic Sanction Review


I was so excited on Tuesday when Black Magic Sanction was finally released. I think Kim Harrison is a very talented writer, and the latest book in her Hollows series doesn't disappoint. In this book, both the demons and the witches are hunting Rachel. Being neither quite a witch nor quite a demon, her unique genetic make-up would allow demons to start repopulating. Demons want to use her, and so-called white witches want to destroy her. And, as always, helping her out of sticky situations are her close band of friends Ivy the vampire, Jenks the Pixie and Pierce the witch, among others. Floating in and out of the story is Trent Kalamack, a billionaire whose history with Rachel goes back to childhood, and who isn't really on Rachel's side but isn't necessarily against her either. And Al! Al! Al! There's lots of Al the demon in this one so I was very happy to explore his teacher/student relationship with Rachel in more detail. Al is such a unique and interesting character so I was glad that he featured prominently in this book. If you like the urban fantasy genre of books, I recommend you pick up the first in this Hollows series, Dead Witch Walking. This is one of the best series out there, in my opinion.

I also managed to read the Demonica series by Larissa Ione. I loved this series, but I'm a huge fan of urban fantasy books. These books center on demon (obviously) brothers who run a hospital hidden under New York somewhere for other demons, vampires, weres, shifters, fallen angels, and other supernatural creatures. It's a fun series if you're into this genre.

No comments: