Monday, January 12, 2009

Movie Reviews


I caught a couple more movies this weekend. Gran Torino, starring Clint Eastwood, is a powerful story that's ultimately about redemption and sacrifice. Clint Eastwood plays a crusty old Korean War vet who hates everyone because the world has changed and he refuses to change with it. He unwittingly befriends the Hmong teenage girl next door then sets out to reform her brother. It's an incredible story that gets my split vote (with Doubt) for movie of the year. Go see this movie.

I also saw Slumdog Millionaire which won the Golden Globe last night for best picture. It's a harsh look at the gritty life of a child growing up in the slums of Mumbai. It's a beautifully told story and, of all the Oscar-contention movies I've seen, <slight spoiler alert> it's the only one with a happy ending. No one makes movies with a happy ending anymore and I didn't know how much I missed that until experiencing the end of this movie. Go see this one too.

No comments: