Sunday, January 25, 2009

Frost/Nixon, Revolutionary Road, Rachel Getting Married

I had another movie blitz weekend. I started off with Frost/Nixon starring Frank Langella as Nixon and Michael Sheen as Frost. I was just a baby when this happened in the early 70s so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to follow all the intricacies of the plot, but it wasn't a movie like that at all. It focused more on Frost and how he had to hustle to pull off his famous interview with former disgraced president Richard Nixon. Frank Langella did a phenomenal job bringing an unexpected depth to Nixon, which is what made this such a fabulous movie.


Revolutionary Road, starring one of my favorite actresses, Kate Winslet, and Leonardo DiCaprio, was a deep and uncomfortable look at couple in the 50s who are frustrated with their ordinary lives and struggle to make more of themselves before it's too late. I think it speaks to all of us, though hopefully we are dealing with these issues better than Kate and Leo. It's not a happy movie but its grittiness and realism makes this incredible.


Rachel Getting Married is an indy movie about a girl who leaves rehab to attend her sister's wedding. It's definitely an indy movie because it focuses way too much on the sister's goofy wedding. I think there was just the right amount of family interaction, though, which is the point of this movie. It stars Anne Hathaway as the addict and there's a fabulous scene with her and her screen mom, Debra Winger, that gets to the heart of the family issues and the addiction. I would have gladly sacrificed wedding screen time for a longer scene between those two phenomenal actresses. It's clear to see why Hathaway got an Oscar nomination for this performance.

No comments: