Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Power of Pop Culture, Teenagers, and the Internet and the Korean Guy who Profits from it All

So I'm a Twilight fan and a hack at the piano, so I thought I'd look to see if Bella's lullaby from the Twilight movie was available to purchase as sheet music. I looked at a couple sheet music websites and didn't find it so I Googled it. That's when I realized the craziness occurring in the online community at large.

One guy - one guy!!! - said hey, this particular song would be a good choice for Bella's lullaby in the movie. Now all the Twihard piano players have adopted it for themselves as Bella's lullaby. It's a beautiful piece of music called River Flows in You by a Korean piano player named Yiruma, and it's a much better song than the one featured in the movie - I'll give that to all the Twihard pianists.

On You Tube, there are tons of videos entered for this song. Some just show people performing the song, others have made visual montages to Twilight to go along with the music, and all mention the song as Bella's lullaby. ???

It is a very pretty song and I finally found the sheet music and plan to start hacking away at it in the near future. So I thought today that I should download this song from iTunes so I can listen to it anytime I want, because when I play a song it tends to not sound the way it's supposed to (I said I was a hack). So, lucky me, this Yiruma guy has a best of album on iTunes that has the song I want. You know that Popularity scale that's featured for each song in the iTunes store? Well, all of his other songs have one bar, meaning his mom downloaded the album so he wouldn't feel bad, and River Flows in You is rated at maximum popularity! The previously obscure and unheard of Yiruma is raking in the dough and gaining popularity all because one guy - one guy!!! - on the Internet thought this sounded like an appropriate song to use as Bella's lullaby in the Twilight movie.

And that, my friends, is the story of the power of pop culture, teenagers, and the Internet and the Korean guy who profits from it all.

No comments: