Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Just After Sunset

Just After Sunset, the latest book by Stephen King (one of my top 5 favorite authors), is an interesting collection of short stories ranging from scary-freaky to non-nightmare inducing even though most (but not all) deal with a little bit of supernatural booga-booga. He was inspired to compose this after editing a collection of short stories in 2007 when he realized he forgot the art of writing short stories. I'm glad he found it again. I always enjoy his writing, but this isn't a must-read that I plan to force on my friends (as I have in the past with other books). I think the reason maybe that the thing I like most about his writing is his ability to write characters, and these short stories don't allow him enough time to develop them the way novels do. Regardless, he's a great writer and this is worth checking out.

No comments: