Sunday, September 28, 2008

You Suck: A Love Story

Christopher Moore is one of the funniest writers ever! I picked up You Suck: A Love Story from the library on a whim and ended up laughing so hard I was crying. This is the sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends, which the library did not have so I'll have to backtrack on that one sometime.

As you can tell from the book cover this one is about vampires. This outrageously funny book is about a (good) vampire couple and the crazy situations in which they find themselves. Along the way they pick a minion, a 16 year Goth/Emo chick who calls herself Abbey Normal (a tip of the hat to Young Frankenstein, I'm sure) though her name is really Allison Green. The chapter where I broke down into tears of laughter from which it took me quite a while to recover is told from her perspective as she wrote it in her diary. I won't ruin the moment for you but I started my hysterics when she compared her best friend to Boo Radley in To Kill A Mockingbird, followed by a description of how traumatized she was from seeing a naked old man.

You have to read it for yourself. I guarantee this book will make you laugh. You owe it to yourself to add it to your book list. Christopher Moore is too great a smart ass to not read his stuff.

No comments: