Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Round-Up

I've seen several movies and read many books since my last post. I'll just give a quick one line review and a rating for each.

BOOKS
River Marked by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson series)
I missed the pack in this one, but it was a nice departure from the usual story line.

White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison (The Hollows series)
Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison (The Hollows series)
These books are just as good the second time around!

Across the Universe by Beth Revis
A decent dystopian YA sci-fi novel, but I'd recommend The Hunger Games over this.

The Night Season by Chelsea Cain (Archie/Gretchen series)
Decent murder mystery, but Gretchen is very noticeably absent.

Battle of the Network Zombies by Mark Henry
Too much humor and not enough story.

Iron Crowned by Richelle Meade (Dark Swan series)
A great installment to the series. I can't wait to see how it all ends!

One of Our Thursday's is Missing by Jasper Fforde (Thursday Next series)
Another brilliant book by one of my favorite authors.

A Red Herring without Mustard by Alan Bradley (Flavia de Luce series)
I will never grow tired of seeing the world through Flavia's eyes!

The Passion by Donna Boyd
Well written, but it ends up being a tragedy and I really need my HEA.

The Gift of Fury by Richard Jackson
It kept me reading even though I wasn't in the mood for it, which probably means it's better than how I rated it.

Primal Calling by Jillian Burns
Boring and predictable.

Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Chronicles of Nick series)
Great story with lots of humor - I might end up liking this YA spin-off better than the main Dark Hunter series.

The Sacrifice by Samantha Sommersby
Not as bad as I was expecting it to be since it was a Kindle freebie.

Fang Me by Parker Blue (Demon Underground series)
I'm enjoying this YA series, but I don't think Ms. Blue is planning to write many more of these books.

Lover Unleashed by JR Ward (Black Dagger Brotherhood series)
Another home run for Ward. I don't think she's capable of striking out.

The Harlequin by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series)
Blood Noir by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series)
Skin Trade by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series)
Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series)
Bullet by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series)
I'm glad to be all caught up with this series. It was a challenge to keep reading.

Atomic Lobster by Tim Dorsey
Another book that was too jokey and light on plot.

Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill (Chicagoland Vampire series)
Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill (Chicagoland Vampire series)
Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill (Chicagoland Vampire series)
It was great re-reading these. Just as good the second time around.

MOVIES
Hannah starring Cate Blanchett and Eric Bana
Great acting, great music, great scenery.

Source Code starring Jake Gyllenhall and Vera Farmiga
A decent movie for your rental queue.

Limitless starring Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro
Good movie. Definitely watch it.

Insidious
A decent attempt for a scary movie, though several key scenes were pretty hokey.

Rango
Somewhat boring and predictable, though not the worst movie I've ever seen.

TV SHOWS
Nurse Jackie
I'm glad this one started up again. I love all the goofy people who work in the hospital.

Gods of the Arena (Spartacus prequel)
It's not going to win any awards, but it's a fun show with lots skin and blood.

The Borgias
This should be a lot more interesting than it is.

1 comment:

msmariah said...

Nice blog. Would love to know what you think of Game of Thrones.