Tuesday, March 1, 2011

February Wrap-Up

Pale Demon, the latest in Kim Harrison's Hollows series, was incredible! Lots of good plot stuff happens, lots of great character development happens, and I'm left practically dying for the next installment. It's great that Harrison is still on the top of her game with this series and isn't painfully dragging it out like so many other authors. I definitely recommend this whole series.

This Side of the Grave, the latest in Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series, is unfortunately one of the books that is dragging out a series without too much substance. I had a feeling this was going to happen because Frost doesn't have a lot of "pieces" in play in the overall plot to successfully extend this series. This book was OK, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend the first three books in this series, though.

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness was a pleasant surprise. This debut novel reads more like a regular novel than an urban fantasy one, which may or may not work for you depending on your reading style preferences. I definitely recommend it and I'm looking forward to more books by her.

Sapphique, the follow up to Incarceron by Catherine Fisher, was just as good as its predecessor. These are both just straight up well written science fiction. Dreams of a Dark Warrior, the latest in the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole, was just OK. I thought the first half dragged.

I went to see Unknown starring Liam Neeson. It had a good twist, but the rest of the plot of painfully stupid. I don't recommend it. I watched The Maltese Falcon and was disappointed. It's all just people sitting around talking about what happened instead of actually showing what happened. Very boring. But I also caught Goodfellas, and that movie never gets old!

No comments: