Monday, June 28, 2010

Chicagoland Vampires and other Book Reviews

I absolutely love the Chicagoland Vampire books by Chloe Neill which include Some Girls Bite, Friday Night Bites, and the soon-to-be released Twice Bitten. Neill created an interesting and diverse world in which her robust characters thrive. The stories center around a masters student named Merit who, after being attacked and left for dead by a rogue vampire, is turned vampire to escape death by Ethan Sullivan, head of the Cadogan house. Merit turns out to be a powerful vampire, but she gets caught up in a new world of vampire politics and intrigue. Very well written. I definitely recommend these books.

I recently finished re-reading Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore. He's so much fun to read! His nutty fictional San Francisco is full of vampires, a homeless man who's declared himself The Emperor of San Francisco, and a crazy group of guys who work the night shift at the local supermarket, who spend a lot of their time bowling with frozen turkeys and water skiing on the back of the floor washing machine. I definitely recommend all of Christopher Moore's books.

I made my way through a few of my Kindle freebies as well. Demonfire by Kate Douglas started off with demon-possessed garden gnomes who eat rabbits and kill people. It was bizarre enough to hold my attention but I never would have paid money for this. Winter's Passage by Julie Kagawa was a short story that was clearly part of a series that I haven't read. The story was easy to follow but I hate not starting from the beginning of a story. It was well written but not interesting enough for me to be reading the rest of the series. I read a couple of pieces of crap that aren't even worth mentioning.

No comments: