Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Book Reviews: The Hollows Series and the Fever series

I was recently laid up after having an operation on my foot so I had a lot of time to make a dent in my TBR pile. The first series I read was the urban fantasy Hollows series by Kim Harrison which includes Dead Witch Walking; The Good, The Bad and the Undead; Every Which Way But Dead; A Fistful of Charms; For a Few Demons More; The Outlaw Demon Wails; and White Witch, Black Curse. I absolutely LOVED this series. The main character, Rachel Morgan, is a witch with a messed up and complicated life, and although life keeps throwing curveballs at her she still manages to fight the good fight.

There are so many fun and interesting characters, my favorite of which is a pixie named Jenks who is one of Rachel's business partners. He may only be four inches tall but his personality is larger than life. My favorite part of these books are the Tink curses he spews out, such as Tink's titties! Tink's tampons! Tink's diaphram! And, of course, Tink's a Disney whore! Baa-haa-haa!

All these books were so much fun to read. I recommend them to everyone.

The other book series I read was the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning which includes Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever, and Dreamfever. The main character, MacKayla Lane, is unwittingly lured into an epic fight between humans and faes for the planet earth. The series is just ok. The only thing that keeps it really intersting is the character Jerhico Z. Barrons. We're still not sure who or what he is. He's dark, powerful, mysterious, dangerous, and he keeps Mac alive. I wouldn't necessarily recommend these books unless this is your genre of choice.

No comments: