Monday, October 27, 2008

Highlander

Wow! What a craptastic 80s movie! When I was in college in the early 90s one of my roommates told me to check out Highlander because we're both into sci-fi. So this weekend I finally did (over two decades after it originally came out in 1986). It was fun to watch because everything about it was a cliche, from the "cop speak" to the (now crappy by current standards) special effects. I'm sure my roommate was right and that I would have loved it back then. I'm not even sure if the main character was really Scottish (he hardly had an accent), but Sean Connery was in it and he is.

It must have touched a lot of people, though, because I see it spawned three sequels and a TV show (none of which I've seen or plan to see). The biggest kick I got out of it was the bad guy played by Clancy Brown. I first recognized him as an actor in the HBO series Carnivale in which he played Brother Justin (also the main bad guy). He later showed up in Lost as the original guy in the hatch (who was then joined by Desmond) who was also the guy in Iraq that got Sayid to torture his own leader for information. So it was fun to see him in this really early acting role. But I wouldn't recommend it without being in the mood to watch a bad 80s sci-fi movie.

No comments: