Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May Book Reviews

I started out May by rereading Playing with Fire by Gena Showalter, the first her Tales of an Extraordinary Girl series. It's a fun book about a girl who suddenly acquires super powers and can control the weather. It sounds hokey, but there's a lot of humor and sarcasm which mixes nicely with the plot. I definitely recommend this series to anyone who reads Urban Fantasy. I'll be reading the next book in this series in June.



Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill, the latest in the Chicagoland Vampire series, really knocked me for a loop. The writing and story were great, as usual. But there was a surprise at the end of the book that I never saw coming. I'm concerned with what Neill plans to do with this new plot development in future books. I hope they don't turn into anything hokey because this is one of the best written Urban Fantasy series.

Dead Reckoning, the latest in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, was disappointing, just like the last few books in this series. Harris should have wrapped up this series with the fairy wars. Instead, her contract got extended due to HBO picking this up but she's clearly out of things to write about. In this book, the first five chapters are about Sookie cleaning out her attic. Then some characters do things they wouldn't normally do. Then Harris comes up with the worst deus ex machina ever that's going to explode in the last book of the series. If you're not a die-hard fan of the series, skip it.



I picked up The Heat, The Strip, and The Spell which comprise the Big Bad Wolf series so far by Heather Killough-Walden. I downloaded them for $1 each on my Kindle. If they're still $1 and you like Urban Fantasy books about shifters, definitely download them.



I read a few short story freebies: Thrill of the Hunt by Nathalie Grey, Snaring the Huntress by Sylvia Day, and A Knight to Remember by Karin Tabke. They were all just OK. I'd skip them all.



I tried to fit in a reread of the whole Kate Daniels series at the end of the month before the next book came out, but I only managed to fit in Magic Bites, Magic Burns, and Magic Strikes. This one of my most favorite series. Well written, lots of humor, and a tough and sassy heroine. What's not to love?! I absolutely recommend this series!

No comments: