Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Changeless and other Book & Movie Reviews


Changeless, the second book in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, was everything I hoped it would be: very humorous with a twisty mystery and dash of absurdity for good measure. In this story our heroine, Alexia, is trying to figure out why areas of paranormal creatures turn into mortals. I definitely recommend this book, but be forewarned about a big cliffhanger of an ending.
The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley was just as wonderful as his first novel The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Once again, our intrepid little 11 year old heroine, Flavia de Luce, is determined to solve the mystery of a puppeteer's murder. Charming, funny and well written. I definitely recommend both of these books.

Vampire A Go Go by Victor Gischler was a fun romp that I also recommend. Various factions and individuals are all chasing after the philosopher's stone for one reason or another. It's an action packed mystery adventure.

I picked up Dog Days by John Levitt for one of my book challenges, which was to pick a book based solely on its cover. It had a guy and a dog that glowed blue, and at the bottom is said Magic is a Man's Best friend. It was actually a pretty good book so I lucked out. What's not to love about a magic dog?

Date Night was funnier than I thought it would be. The previews definitely don't do it justice. Tina Fey and Steve Carrell are spot on. The funniest part may have been the outtakes when the credits were rolling.

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was a good movie, which surprised me because the book was slow and tedious and I couldn't make it past chapter 10. It was made in Sweden. If you can stand reading subtitles I definitely recommend this movie.

No comments: