Sunday, April 19, 2009

State of Play, The Other Boleyn Girl, and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

State of Play is an excellent movie. It's a twisty, turny thriller starring Ben Affleck, Russell Crowe, Rachel McAdams, and Helen Mirren. The movie opens with a petty thief being gunned down in an alley, which is the catalyst to uncovering a vast conspiracy. I don't want to say much more about the plot which keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. Take it from me, don't drink a large Coke while watching this movie because you won't want to get up for a bathroom break.

I should have caught The Other Boleyn Girl in the theaters, but I'm glad I finally did see it. It's a great depiction of the story of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII starring Natalie Portman and Eric Bana, as well as Scarlett Johansson who plays Anne's sister Mary. I never knew Anne had a sister and that she was actually the king's lover first. Great story, very well acted. Definitely catch this one if you haven't already.

I took a chance on The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and it was way to boring and weird for me. I can't recommend this movie, which I ended up fast forwarding through. It's the true story of a guy who had a stroke that resulted in locked-in story. He wrote a book by communicating with blinks of his one good eye. It sounds interesting and inspiring, but you really have to want to watch this kind of movie to make it through the whole thing.

No comments: