Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Spring Round-Up

I've seen several movies and read many books since my last post. I'll just give a quick one line review and a rating for each.

BOOKS
River Marked by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson series) ★★★★★
I missed the pack in this one, but it was a nice departure from the usual story line.

White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison (The Hollows series) ★★★★★
Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison (The Hollows series) ★★★★★
These books are just as good the second time around!

Across the Universe by Beth Revis ★★★
A decent dystopian YA sci-fi novel, but I'd recommend The Hunger Games over this.

The Night Season by Chelsea Cain (Archie/Gretchen series) ★★★
Decent murder mystery, but Gretchen is very noticeably absent.

Battle of the Network Zombies by Mark Henry ★★
Too much humor and not enough story.

Iron Crowned by Richelle Meade (Dark Swan series) ★★★★
A great installment to the series. I can't wait to see how it all ends!

One of Our Thursday's is Missing by Jasper Fforde (Thursday Next series) ★★★★★
Another brilliant book by one of my favorite authors.

A Red Herring without Mustard by Alan Bradley (Flavia de Luce series) ★★★★
I will never grow tired of seeing the world through Flavia's eyes!

The Passion by Donna Boyd ★★★
Well written, but it ends up being a tragedy and I really need my HEA.

The Gift of Fury by Richard Jackson ★★★
It kept me reading even though I wasn't in the mood for it, which probably means it's better than how I rated it.

Primal Calling by Jillian Burns ★★
Boring and predictable.

Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Chronicles of Nick series) ★★★★
Great story with lots of humor - I might end up liking this YA spin-off better than the main Dark Hunter series.

The Sacrifice by Samantha Sommersby ★★★
Not as bad as I was expecting it to be since it was a Kindle freebie.

Fang Me by Parker Blue (Demon Underground series) ★★★★
I'm enjoying this YA series, but I don't think Ms. Blue is planning to write many more of these books.

Lover Unleashed by JR Ward (Black Dagger Brotherhood series) ★★★★★
Another home run for Ward. I don't think she's capable of striking out.

The Harlequin by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series) ★★★
Blood Noir by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series) ★★★
Skin Trade by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series) ★★★
Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series) ★★★
Bullet by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake series) ★★★
I'm glad to be all caught up with this series. It was a challenge to keep reading.

Atomic Lobster by Tim Dorsey ★★
Another book that was too jokey and light on plot.

Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill (Chicagoland Vampire series) ★★★★★
Friday Night Bites by Chloe Neill (Chicagoland Vampire series) ★★★★★
Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill (Chicagoland Vampire series) ★★★★★
It was great re-reading these. Just as good the second time around.

MOVIES
Hannah starring Cate Blanchett and Eric Bana ★★★★
Great acting, great music, great scenery.

Source Code starring Jake Gyllenhall and Vera Farmiga ★★★
A decent movie for your rental queue.

Limitless starring Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro ★★★★
Good movie. Definitely watch it.

Insidious ★★★
A decent attempt for a scary movie, though several key scenes were pretty hokey.

Rango ★★
Somewhat boring and predictable, though not the worst movie I've ever seen.

TV SHOWS
Nurse Jackie ★★★★
I'm glad this one started up again. I love all the goofy people who work in the hospital.

Gods of the Arena (Spartacus prequel) ★★★
It's not going to win any awards, but it's a fun show with lots skin and blood.

The Borgias ★★
This should be a lot more interesting than it is.

1 comment:

msmariah said...

Nice blog. Would love to know what you think of Game of Thrones.